For many truck owners, a tonneau cover is the ultimate accessory. It makes the truck bed even more practical and can increase security. However, there are a lot of options on the market. Should you buy a soft tonneau cover or a hard one? Is a roll-up design better than a retracting one? Do you want the BAKFlip G2 tonneau cover or the MX4? The following guide will help you to decide.
Types of Tonneau Covers
There are a few types of tonneau covers available on the market. Knowing which one is right for you can help narrow down your search.
- Folding: These covers are made up of panels that can be folded over each other. Most are designed either as a tri-fold or quad-fold arrangement. They can have soft tops supported by frames, but aluminum hard tops tend to be the most popular.
- Roll Up: These covers are made from a soft material and can be rolled up towards the cab. They have the widest range in terms of quality. Some are little more than tarps over the bed whereas others form seals and are made from premium materials.
- Retracting: This type of tonneau cover is similar to roll-up ones. However, the rolling process is powered by a motor.
- One Piece: This type of cover is very simple. There is just one piece, usually made from aluminum, that lifts up.
Of course, even if you know which type of cover you want to buy, there are other practical factors. Keep the following in mind:
- Budget: Covers can range from a couple of hundred dollars to more than two thousand. Simpler designs are typically cheaper.
- Quality: Tonneau covers range from low-quality tarp-like covers to a variety of premium-materials. Additionally, build quality can vary significantly.
- Installation: Many covers require some effort to install. Some even need mounting holes drilled. Learn about the installation process before buying.
- Features: Finally, consider some of the special features. For example, some hard covers have special latches that make it easy to use the tailgate with the cover in place.
The BAKFlip MX4 Cover
One of the most popular options on the market is the BAKFlip MX4. This is a quad-folding, aluminum cover with a dual-action lock for easy access. It offers excellent protection from the elements as well as good security.
BAKFlip is a sub-brand of BAK Industries focused on folding covers. They are regarded as some of the best in the industry. The low-profile design makes this cover very sleek and attractive. Additionally, it can be folded up for 100% bed access, something that you will not get with every cover.
Order Your Tonneau Cover Today
Discover more about buying a tonneau cover. When you know which options to consider, you will be ready to find the perfect option for your unique requirements. A good tonneau cover can offer protection from the elements and would-be thieves. However, you don’t want security to get in the way of being able to use your truck to its fullest potential. Find the right options for your needs today.